Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Mountain Unmoved by Faith

My mind is in great turmoil right now because before spring break, I believed Okonkwo was not a hero. However, now that I have finished the book,although the rational part of me still hates the side of him that is violent and emotionless, there is an irrational part of me that sympathizes with his dilemma. Okonkwo was a man who had strong beliefs, a strong sense of tradition, and unwavering loyalty to his gods. I cannot honestly say that that is not admirable, because while many of his peers and clansmen were being swayed by the promises of Christianity, he stood his ground and believed firmly in his tradition. In circumstances like these, it is easy for one to simply be swept away by the stream of peer pressure, but what I believe makes Okonkwo heroic is that he stood up for what he believed in to the end. He did not cowardly bend his standards to adjust to changes that were occurring around him like some lesser men would have done, he solidly stood his ground for what he believed was right. In the end he took a stand for what he believed was wrong in his own way, by taking his own life so that he would not see the changes he believed was wrong; he remained loyal and unwavering in his beliefs until the end.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, first I'd like to say your post was very well written. However, you and I have the exact opposite views. I thought of Okonkwo as a hero at first but started changing my mind as I read on in the novel. But reading your post, you made me think that maybe Okonkwo was a hero all along. I always thought of Okonkwo taking his own life as cowardly and unheroic; I saw it as him abandoning his people when things were falling apart. But I hadn't thought of how Okonkwo remaining loyal to his beliefs till the very end. But when I think about it now, I do agree with you. I guess Okonkwo's faith and pride for his beliefs does make him a hero. I've never realized this until now, so thank you for showing me another point of view!

    ReplyDelete